A terminal illness can shatter your world.
The isolation can be suffocating.
The fear can be debilitating.
BUT IT DOESN’T HAVE TO BE
Imagine being inspired… motivated… liberated… to enjoy every moment to the fullest.
End of Life Doula Support & Consultation in Calgary and Surrounding Area
Dying the Dream was created to support and advocate for the dying. Committed, consistent, compassionate support is available to anyone facing end of life, as well as those who care for and about them.
An anchoring presence with gentle guidance throughout the dying process helps break through the stigma and misconceptions surrounding death and dying. The fears that created them are dissolved and replaced with purpose and meaning.
What are End of Life Doulas?
End of Life Doulas are trained non-medical professionals who provide support to the dying and those who choose to be involved in the process. From the time a terminal diagnosis is received, through the stages of active dying, death and bereavement, an End of Life Doula complements existing end of life care, which in turn eases the process of dying.
Although referrals to End of Life Doulas may be made by social workers, therapists, hospice organizations and other health care professionals, most are sought out independently and hired by the dying person, their family or friends or anyone recognizing the profound impact “dying well” has on the community at large.
End of Life Doula support may include, but is not limited to:
- clarification of advance care/end-of-life planning;
- education and providing choice;
- facilitation of communication with health care professionals and/or family members and others;
- representation of and advocacy for the dying person’s wishes;
- provision of comfort to the dying and those around them, whether physically, emotionally or spiritually;
- vigil coordination, preparation and attendance;
- delivery of post death and bereavement care.
End of Life Doulas do not:
- diagnose medical conditions;
- carry out any medical tasks;
- offer medical, legal, financial advice;
- make decisions for you.